Monday, October 22, 2007

Jumble Mumble 2

One
As the hijra pimp led the 7 year old girl into the house enticing her with stories of halwa-puri and led her to fat seth propped up against pillows on his mahogany bed, I sunk lower into the black seat and hugged my bag. I cringed thinking of the innocent 7 year old and what was about to happen to her. I felt a vacuum in the pit of my stomach and between my legs. I crossed my denim clad legs tighter...

(...while watching Deepa Mehta's Water in the bus from Mumbai to Pune on Sunday evening)

...and thanked my lucky stars, that I was born in more enlightened times in a well off, educated family.

Two
After the movie, the assistant in the bus put on a CD of old hindi songs. And suddenly you could sense a change in atmosphere in the bus. The whole bus seemed to suddenly become one.
You could hear voices in bus softly singing along with rajesh khanna, dev anand, sharmila tagore, mumtaz, etc.
There snapping fingers keeping pace with the beats of these classics. Feet were tapping. Heads were bobbing.
And for a few minutes everybody was transformed back to a time when music had a power to hypnotize people.
Credits to:
Roop tera mastana..
Gore rang pe na itna ghumaan kar...
Meet na mila re man ka...
Gaata rahe mera dil...
Jaane Jaa, dhoondhta phir raha...
Mere Sapno ki rani kab aayegi tu...

Let the Music Play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

seriously nandu....agreed...old songs(ksihore kumar -rd burman specially) have a different charm in itself....they somehow touch your heart....& suddenly the world seems to be so soft & lovely :)

arunima here :)